Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Noah's a First Grader!

All of my kids had a birthday a few months ago, and now they {well, Noah and Leah} are starting school!!?! Way too many milestones are happening here in the Smith household! I can't keep up with everything anymore!

Noah has been looking forward to starting first grade all summer long. Aren't kids supposed to not want to go back to school and relish in the fun summer days? Yes, Noah totally enjoyed summer, but he could not wait for school to actually start. He was SO curious to how going to school all day was going to be...making friends, playing at recess, having lunch sans mom, learning...these were all things that Noah was looking forward to.

Well, that day finally came. We had a little hiccup the day before...Noah and I went to back-to-school night and we were able to meet his teacher and see his room. He wasn't at all excited about being there. He just hung close to me and wasn't happy at all. I was so confused...wasn't this what he had been looking forward to? We went to pick up Leah and Isaac from Alli's house and he just layed on the couch the entire time. I didn't think much of it until we were leaving and I thought that maybe he was getting sick!! Isaac and Leah had been sick the week before with at 24 hour bug, but I didn't think Noah was going to get it. I talked to him and he said that he felt bad and just wanted to go home. We headed home and he sprawled out on the couch and zonked right out! I took his temperature and it turned out to be 102.2! Seriously?!? Why now?? Noah could NOT miss his first day of school!! He couldn't! I said a prayer and when Doug gave him the traditional first day of school father's blessing, he blessed him that he would feel better in the morning. My heart ached and I so hoped that he would! Morning came, and he was 100% better! **HAPPY DANCE!!** I was so, SO, happy, and relieved, that he was back to his normal self!

Noah woke up at 7:00 on his first day of school, and he pretty much expected to just eat breakfast, get ready, and then he'd be off! I had the joy of dragging out our morning so I wouldn't have to hear "Is it time to go?" a bazillion times. About 30 minutes before we left, we went out and took some pictures...man, oh man, I love this tradition! It takes me back to when I was a little first grader getting ready for school! Oh, the memories! I even remember what I wore! I'll have to find a pic to share :). It was also fun seeing all the neighbor kids outside doing the same as us. Made me smile. There's just something about that first day of school...seeing everyone all dressed up in their new clothes, shoes, backpack and yummy lunches all packed... After taking our pictures, Noah killed some time by talking with his friends. Then, we were all off. As soon as we got to his class, he gave me a huge hug and told me that he'd be just fine! I held it together when I heard that, but I just wanted to cry. He was worried about me worrying about him! Love that kid! But he did reassure me that he was indeed going to be fine. Then the bell rang and he headed off to class. I immediately turned around and headed straight home.

I did it...I got home and I totally let it all out and cried. This going to first grade thing is not OK with me. I get it...I get that he has to go to school. We have all done it, and my other little ones will do it to! But sending your first kid to first grade is hard! SO HARD! Noah has been by my side the past 6 years. Kindergarten has nothing on going to first grade. Him being gone every afternoon for a few hours was easy for me to handle. Sending him off to FIRST grade for over SIX hours is hard for me to handle. I miss him...like crazy! That first day was the worst. After I cried, I had to put on my happy face because I still had my three littles to take care of. Leah had a hard time too and kept telling me she wanted Noah home to play...that didn't make it easier on me either. I kept her occupied, all while looking at the clock to see how much longer until Noah got home. The time finally came and we all headed over to pick up our Noah. He was the first one of the the class, and as soon as he saw me he came and gave me a huge hug! He had the biggest grin on his face and was so excited to tell me about his day. I had made cookies for him, and as soon as we got home we all sat down and listened to Noah as he told us everything about his day...all while eating some great cookies.

I don't know why I worry so much! I guess it's natural, and now I know exactly how my mom felt when I went to school. I used to wonder why she was sad to see me off on my first day, but now I totally get it! Watching your children grow up is bittersweet...it's so wonderful to watch them learn and move forward in life, but it's hard to let go. Letting go and not knowing what he was going to do all day long was difficult, but seeing him so happy after that first day made me happy too. He did it! I did it! Doug did it! We raised a little boy who is enjoying these milestones, and I wouldn't want it any other way.

My little stud!
I went all out on making Noah's lunch look good! I don't know why I was so worried about lunch...probably because this is the first time he has been away from me for any meal. Ya, something like that ;). I'm in the process of making a little collection to make some fun Bento lunches for my little guy. He seems to like them so far, cause he gobbled this whole thing up!Noah right before he went to class. He was a good head on his shoulders and was very comfortable with going for the day. Love that kid!Silly boy! Here he is telling us about his day, while being goofy at the same time.

0 comments: