Monday, April 17, 2017

Foot Surgery!

I have been putting off having surgery on my foot for way too long.  My bunion has been bugging me a lot this past year, and I knew that the time was coming to get it fixed.  Then, last summer, I stubbed my toe and the pain never went away.  I finally went to the doc, and low and behold, my toe was broken.  I finally went to the podiatrist and found out, after trying to heal it with a brace, that surgery was the answer.  I was NOT thrilled one bit about this!  I've had this surgery before, and it was a horrible recovery.  I was not ready to do this again, although I knew it was the only option.  So, after a consultation with Doug present, we decided to go for it.  The doctor was going to fix my bunion and the ligaments that were damaged under my 2 smaller toes.  The date was set for March 24...I wasn't looking forward to it.  The day came, we went, we waited for 3 hours, then it was time.  Once the doctor finally showed up, he had me tell him what he was going to do.  He wants dot make sure that I understood what was going to be done...  Then they wheeled me off...worst time ever!  I've had surgery before, but it doesn't get any better.  As soon as the anesthesiologist hooked me up, I was out like a light.  Suddenly I woke up and had a huge purple cast on my left foot.  I wasn't in any pain, but really uncomfortable.  I wanted to see Doug, so they got him...thank goodness.  After an hour, we went home to where the fun really began.  I was ok the first day, but by the second day the pain really set in.  It hurt...bad!  I took the pain med, but still was in pain.  On Sunday morning, Doug called the doctor on call to see how I could manage the pain better, and he had me take more of the pain meds.  It worked, but I felt horrible.  I was so sick.  Two days went by and I was put on another medication, which it turns out I was allergic to!  At that point I just took Aleve.  I was lucky enough to have a scooter to get around on, which was wonderful.  And here I am, 3 weeks later, and doing ok.  I get my cast off tomorrow!  We'll see how everything goes then.  Now I'm just on the road to recovery for the next few weeks and hopefully I'll be good to go by summer!

0 comments: