Monday, July 21, 2008

Blow Out

I had an experience this weekend that I hope that I NEVER have again! I was driving on the freeway with Noah and Leah, and all of a sudden my steering wheel was very stiff. I knew something was wrong, so I got in the far right lane, and as soon as I got there my car started to slow down and I could barely steer the car. I steered my car to the side of the freeway and I got as close to the barrier as possible. I peeked out my passenger door and saw that my tire had blown out! I was so scared and I just started to panic...I was terrified! The cars passing were so close and I thought that I was going to die every time that a semi-truck passed me! I was pulled over at a curve in the road, so I was so nervous that the cars/trucks wouldn't see me! So, while I was in panic mode, I called Doug, who was on his lunch break {thank goodness}, and told him what was going on and he told me that he would be right there. It took him about 20 minutes to get there, and I must say that was the longest 20 minutes of my life! Noah and Leah were screaming and crying the entire time and I couldn't do much to calm them down...plus the cars that were passing me were freakin' me out! I was so happy once Doug got there to rescue us! After evaluating the situation, he decided to move us from my car to his car and then get us off of the freeway, since it was so dangerous. Once we got off of the freeway, we called to have my car towed so that we could get the tire replaced. I cannot tell you how relieved I was to get off of the freeway and be somewhere safe with my babies! I seriously cannot put into words how scared this whole experience was, and I hope that I NEVER have to experience it again! Sorry to ramble on and on...I guess I just needed to vent :).

While we were waiting for my car to be towed, we went to 7-11 and got Slurpees. We were feeling very generous, so Noah got his own banana Slurpee! He was in heaven {see his happy face in picture #2}!!!

Here's the damage...SCARY!!!

8 comments:

Brent and Ashley said...

This is my second attempt at posting a comment...so sorry if you get two posts from me...
anyways, I am SO glad you are all safe and sound. That is a scary thing, it's happened to me, but not with 2 crying kids in the car! I'm glad you were able to safely pull over and call Doug. Heavenly Father was definitely watching over you and your babies!

Kathryn said...

Oh my goodness Angie! I can't believe that happened to you!!!! I'm so glad everything turned out okay, and I'm sorry your kids were screaming the whole time. That sure makes everything more stressful. What an awful experience!

Sue said...

Angie! I am so sorry that happened and glad you guys are o.k.:)

Kris Fowler said...

I can verify that she had two beautiful and screaming kids in the car. I (Mom) talked to her until just before Doug got there.
love you tons!!!!!!

suzi said...

Angie, Get AAA! It is worth every penny! It may only cost $50.00 for one year and they also unlock doors that might be accidentally locked(with children inside)LOL
I had the same tire Blowout 5 years ago in Alli's car driving home to Layton from SLC @midnight with no cell phone(of course Sean was out of town) it was my birthday and I had a dress on. No kids were with me, Thank Goodness for the good man who helped me.xoxo

YbsisKaren said...

OMG, I am so glad nothing happened to your and your children in that horrifying incident. I, once, had a tire/wheel come off while going under the 21st street over pass (before it was the spaghetti bowl) in 4:30 pm traffic. Luckily, i was on the inside lane near the grass and was able to pull off close enough to the grass to not do any damage to the hub. THank goodness, some kind samaritan came along and was able to put the tire back on the car. All the lug nuts were gone so he borrowed one from each of the other wheels so I could get to a tire store for more. THAT was scarry enough for me. Another time, Walt & I were headed to Seattle for a family gathering and outside of Boise we had a blowout going abt 85. WHEW - that was scarry for both us and our 2 dogs. We must have the best guardian angels to protect us while we are out and about. I agree abt getting AAA or some other towing/fixit package. They are so worth the money.

Julie said...

How scary! That's one of my biggest fears! I am so glad that atleast you were able to keep control of your car to get to the shoulder.

The Dahle's said...

i have totally had that same situation happen but it was a few years ago and not with 2 kids in the car which would make it even freakier! it literally makes ur heart stop and is even scarier when u can't steer the car! i am glad that u guys are safe and sound :)