Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Success


One of the concerns that I have had since becoming pregnant is how we are going to potty train Noah when I have another baby in the house. I know that it is something that I shouldn’t stress about, but it has been a major worry of mine. Well, I did some research and I read how most toddlers are ready to be introduced to the potty between 18 and 20 months old. Doug and I figured that it wouldn’t hurt to buy a potty seat for Noah and gradually start to introduce him to sitting on it and everything that is associated with it. I refuse to use a separate potty seat {it is just too gross for me}, so we bought Noah a seat that goes on the actual potty. We started sitting him on it at the beginning of January and the first time that we put him on it he went #1!!! I was AMAZED that he knew exactly what to do!! Since then, during every diaper change, I sit him on the potty and sometimes we have success, and sometimes we don’t. We do a reward system with him, so every time he goes #1 he gets an M&M, and if he goes #2 he gets two M&Ms.

WELL, today was a wonderful day! This afternoon, Noah walked in my room and he said that he was “poopy” {that is his terminology for the potty…I tell him that it is the potty, but he sticks with his own phrasing}. He then walked out of the room and walked back in with his pants in his hands…he had pulled his pants off all by himself! I thought to myself that he had gone potty and just wanted his diaper changed, so I started to change his diaper, but his diaper was dry! As soon as his diaper was off he got up and went over and climbed on his potty and went #1!!! He has NEVER done this before!! I usually am the one to put him on the potty and I have to remind him what to do…but not this time! He did everything all by himself…and he is only 22 months old!! I was so excited…I guess the past 1 ½ months of patience and teaching has paid off! I am sure that there will be some bumps in the road as we continue to potty train him, but today was a day to remember!

Sorry to ramble on and on…I tend to do that sometimes.

10 comments:

Andrea Griggs said...

Congratulations! That's wonderful and amazing. I think I'm going to come to you for potty training advice when I start with Ender. Good work, Noah!

Kris said...

ISN'T IT JUST WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!
He is a smarty pants!!!!! LOL

T and H said...

I just can't believe how big Noah has gotten! We're proud of his latest success with the potty training, Way to go Noah!

ladybug said...

just got around to "visiting" the blogs and am very proud of ALL my "creative" kids!!!! love to all!!!!

Jodi Nelson said...

that's awesome. great job. i've heard it is quite a feat for many. i'm taking notes!! i hope it continues to go well too.

Susan said...

Good job Noah & Mommy. You should have a reward system for yourself too. New shoes if Noah gets potty trained before new baby comes.

Susan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julie said...

You are a brave woman! I don't even want to think about potty training, UGH!!!!

cherilyn said...

that is awesome! good work noah and mommy!

Cujo said...

Ahhhhh the days of washing out diapers when my kids were wee tiny - ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
You rock Noah!!!!!!!!
poppy in the toilet