Wednesday, November 5, 2014

A little scare...

We had a little scare with Benjamin a few weeks ago. It was almost 9:00 in the morning and I was holding him on his back in my arms while I was getting Noah and Leah off to school. All of a sudden I felt him go limp in my arms...I looked down and his face went from peachy to white and his lips went from red to blue!!  I started to panic and tried to calm myself down to see if he was breathing...he was, but it was very little. I started to do anything to try and wake him up...rubbing him, screaming his name. About 30 seconds later he woke up and was sobbing!!!  I was so scared and couldn't think straight. I then called our pediatrician and told them I was coming in. I changed my clothes and put isaac, kate, and ben in the car at lightening speed and drive safely to the doctor. After an evaluation, our doctor said that he had ALTE {Apparent Life Threatening Experience}. He didn't know at the time what had caused this, so he told us that he wanted him to be monitored at the hospital for 24 hours. We then went straight to the hospital, to get Ben all situated. At this point I had called Doug and my mom and they were on their way down to help. They arrived and my mom took Isaac and Kate home while Doug stayed with Ben and I. They took his blood, which, thankfully, was not as bad as I had imagined it to be. Then we were told to just sit and relax with our babe. I held him almost the entire time and just snuggled him. I was so scared it was going to happen again, yet I was so relieved to be at the hospital in case it did!  I went home after the kids were home from school to see them and get some stuff so I could stay the night with Ben. They were all so so so concerned about baby brother...Leah even shed some tears. Then back I went to the hospital to be with Ben and Doug.  Ben was so good and was smiling so much...he was acting lien nothing had happened at all!  Doug left around 7:30, leaving Ben and I to spend the night at the hospital...which I was not thrilled about!  Steffanie came to visit, which was so nice. After she left, I headed to bed and had Ben sleep on my chest the entire night. There was no way I was going to let him lay by himself...even if he was hooked up to monitors!!  I needed peace of mind and needed to he him close. Our night went alright, and I was so thankful when morning came. Our pediatrician came in around 9:00 and looked Ben over. He said that he thinks that Ben coughed up some acid and it puddled in his throat. His little body didn't know what to do to get rid of it, so he just passed out!  I was told to keep a very close eye on him and to call if anything else happens. The we were discharged and went home!


This experience is definitely one that I wish didn't happen, although I learned so much!!  Life is just so precious, especially with these little ones. Being in the moment with my kids has become so much more important to me!  My family is  world and being with them is what matters most!!
Here's some shots of Ben at the hospital.



1 comments:

Cher said...

oh, poor buddy, and poor momma! that is so scary. what a relief that everything is ok.