Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Baby Noah ~ Noah's Birthday!

I thought that it would be fun to have a weekly post that would highlight Noah when he was a little guy {thank you Ashley for the idea!}. Since I started this blog when Noah was just over a year old, I have a lot to share about Noah when he was just tiny! So...each week I will post some dang cute pics of Noah and tell you a little about him as a baby.

I think that I will start off by telling you about the day that he was born {I'll try to keep it short...ya right!}...

Noah was due on April 6, 2006, but, of course, he decided to let us wait a bit longer for his arrival. On the early morning of April 12, 2006, I started to have pretty regular contractions. These lasted from about 1:00 - 5:00 am and they got closer and closer as the time went on. Doug and I finally decided to go to the hospital, and right as we were leaving the house my water broke, and that was when the pain really began. The hospital was 30 minutes away, and I can easily say that that car ride was the worst of my life! My contractions were so bad, and I was in so much pain that I began to think that we weren't going to make it in time...but we did, thank goodness. By the time we got there I was dilated to a 7 and I wanted my epidural right then, but I had to wait 30 minutes because the only anesthesiologist in the hospital was doing a c-section {what luck!!}. Things were great once I got my epidural and it only took one hour until I was completely dilated and ready to deliver our baby boy. After almost 2 hours of pushing, our little bundle of joy was here! Noah Douglas Smith was born at 10:30 am on April 12, 2006 and he came in weighing {drum roll please}...10 pounds and he was 21 1/2 inches long!! Doug and I, as well as the doctor and nurses, were in absolute shock that he weighed that much {my doctor thought that he was going to be about 8 pounds...boy, was he wrong!}! When Noah was born he wasn't breathing well on his own, so he was taken to the NICU immediately. For the first day of his life he had a big plastic bubble over his head to help him breath. It was really hard for Doug and I when we were in the hospital because Noah had to stay in the NICU the entire time that we were there. Words can't describe how hard that was for me! The nurses did bring him in our room two times while we were there, but that was it. I pretty much spent my entire time sitting in the rocking chair next to his bed in the NICU. We were so excited when we were finally able to take Noah home and start new life together as a family of three! This little boy has been one of the greatest blessings and I am so thankful that he is ours! I love him to pieces!!!


One of the first pictures of Noah.
Noah in the NICU with his oxygen mask.
Happy Mommy and Happy Baby!
Doug holding Noah while the nurses fix Noah's bed in the NICU...you can kind of see how big he was in this picture!

Noah is ready to go home!

4 comments:

Brent and Ashley said...

I love the post! Thanks for sharing. I'm glad you're doing this!! I still can't believe how BIG he was!! So funny. I can't wait to see more of little Noah!!

Kris said...

What an amazing little boy!!!!!
He was quite the BUNDLE OF JOY!!!!

Maria said...

Wow, he was a big boy!! Great post!

YbsisKaren said...

I love the little blankets they had in the bed in the NICU. What a blessing for all the little babies that someone donated that. I'm so glad we have these posts to remember back to the early days.